THE BYLAWS OF THE BURLINGTON BASEBALL ASSOCIATION, INC.
BURLINGTON BASEBALL/SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION and BBSA
AS OF JUNE 4, 2008
NAME OF ORGANIZATION
The name of the organization shall be BURLINGTON BASEBALL ASSOCIATION, INC. d/b/a BURLINGTON BASEBALL/SOFTBALL ASSOCIATION and BBSA.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SECTION A – PURPOSE
The Burlington Baseball Association, Incorporated (hereafter known as the BBSA) is a non-profit corporation developed and maintained for the children and young adults of Burlington through eighteen (18) years of age, committed to the development and refinement of their athletic skills, through positive competitive experiences, instruction and guidance.
SECTION B – OBJECTIVES
- To provide quality instructions in the development of baseball and softball skills, within the framework of the fundamental rules and regulations of sports.
- To provide guidance to participants with an emphasis on the development of the spirit of fair play and good citizenship.
- To provide quality equipment and adequate field conditions, for the participants of the BBSA.
- To provide the best qualified managers, coaches, and umpires through the screening and evaluation procedures, with the emphasis on the knowledge of baseball and softball rules, ability to relate positively to youth participants, past commitments, dedication and pledge to follow the rules and regulations, and the bylaws of the BBSA.
- To offer experiences for the Burlington youth to compete with players from outside of Burlington.
- To continue to oppose discrimination and provide equal opportunity to all youths without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, or sex.
- To operate as a non-political organization.
- To cooperate with the other town agencies or organizations in order to foster the purposes and objectives of the organization without binding the organization to commitment with other organizations or agencies.
The membership of the BBSA shall be defined as all elected members of the Board of Directors, all managers and rostered coaches and other volunteers as voted on or appointed by the Board of Directors.
The voting membership for Board Meetings is limited to Board members in good standing,
The Board of Directors shall determine “members in good standing” by votes held as necessary at Board meetings. The Board of Directors may add to or remove from this list at any Board meeting.
SECTION D – DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Board of Directors – The ruling body of the BBSA elected to serve a one-year term at the June Annual Meeting, Executive board positions (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Past President) shall serve a two-year term each beginning in the even numbered calendar year.
- Volunteer – Person voted on or appointed by the Board of Directors to perform the duty of manager, coach or any other duty approved by the Board of Directors in the fulfillment of the purpose and objectives of the BBSA. Volunteers shall include all rostered coaches.
- Membership – The Board of Directors and any volunteers covered by #2 above.
- Participant – Any child or young adult properly registered in timely fashion to participate in the BBSA. Non-residents of Burlington require the approval of the Board of Directors to participate in the BBSA.
- Executive Board – The President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and Past President. The Board of Directors will elect a replacement for the remainder of the current term if a position is vacated, except for the position of Past President..
- Past President – The most immediate Past President who may serve up 4 two year terms.
EXECUTIVE BOARD AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Executive Board of the BBSA shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Past President. Their duties shall be those normally ascribed to such offices and as outlined in the by-laws.
The Main Body of the Board of Directors of the BBSA shall consist of the five (5)officers named above plus a Public Relations Director, a Baseball Commissioner, a Softball Commissioners, a Director of Registration, a Fund Raising Director, a Director of Special Events, a Web Site Director, an Equipment Manager and an Assistant Equipment Manager.
The Board of Directors shall include a representative from each league. Leagues may be added, removed or changed by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
Board positions may be added or removed by a two-thirds majority vote of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors of the BBSA shall meet at least once a month between January 1 and June 30. Other meetings may be scheduled as needed. Notice of time and place will be given to all members at least two (2) weeks in advance. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Board as needed without the required notice.
The Board of Directors of the BBSA may call before it any officer or member to explain action(s).
Any special committees may be established at the direction of the Board of Directors of the BBSA. When the task is accomplished and completed, the committee will cease to exist. The chairperson of any committee and its members shall be appointed by the President, with the approval of the Board of Directors, except as otherwise provided in the by-laws.
Any officer or member of the Board of Directors who is absent from three (3) consecutive unexcused meetings, shall forfeit his/her office unless excused attendance by the Board of Directors.
The president shall declare vacant the position of any officer or Board of Directors member who has been removed from or voluntarily left the Board. The president shall announce any vacancy to the Board of Directors, accept candidates, and appoint a person to fill the temporary vacancy with Approval of the Board of Directors.
The Chairperson of a special committee shall be invited to attend Board of Directors meetings. They shall have voice but no vote at these meetings if they are not elected members of the Board of Directors.
Any Member of the BBSA may attend the Open Forum session of any meeting of the Board of Directors, and shall have voice, but no vote, except under conditions specifically covered in these By–Laws. The Open Forum will be the first agenda item of Board meetings. ARTICLE V
NOMINATION AND ELECTIONS
Nominations shall be submitted in writing via email or regular mail to the Web Site Director and Secretary. Candidates for every position shall be posted on the Web Site prior to elections.
Elections shall be held every yearlly membership meeting
Candidates for election must be members in good standing.
The election shall be by secret ballot by a majority vote of the members in good standing present at the membership meeting at which elections take place.